Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hyakumeizan: images & ink (4)

Illustrated excerpts from One Hundred Mountains of Japan


Image: Sunrise on Eboshi-dake, Japan Northern Alps, woodprint by Yoshida Hiroshi (1926)

Ink: On Tateyama, from Nihon Hyakumeizan (One Hundred Mountains of Japan) by Fukada Kyūya (1964):

I once stayed at the shrine office on Oyama and I will never forget the dawn and sunrise I saw on that occasion. As I watched, the mountain peaks all around seemed to wake into life as they floated above a sea of cloud. This sight convinced me instantly that Tateyama is one of the great mountains of the world.

2 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Hiroshi conveys that etheral feeling you so beautifully described, like floating in a sea of clouds.

Project Hyakumeizan said...

Welcome back, Kittie: as for the "ink", that isn't me - rather those are the words of Fukada Kyuya, the author of "One Hundred Mountains". He had a way with nature descriptions...